Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: Sonic Heroes

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Ryudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 20th, 2002
    Posts
    349
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    we are flying I only put one image but there are more. Well, what do you say (this time it is not an april's fools joke, [img]tongue.gif[/img] )? not bad, huh?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member One Classy Bloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2002
    Posts
    3,653
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hmm.. interesting. All those pics look good, but it does seem as if Knuckles was made out of plastic in one of the screenshots. Too shiny. Also, a lot of jaggys.

    The varity of characters in this game (including the welcome returns of the Chaotix Crew and E-102 Gamma) along with the level design leads me to believe that this will focus less on plot and more on the fast action speed of the Genesis series. Which is a good thing. The multi-player seems interesting and i like the teamwork idea. However, it looks kinda like the early sonic arcade game, Segasonic. But this still looks to be very good.

    OCB + Sonic Heros = excited OCB!!!

    BTW to Wiseman, I know i've heard you say "Sonic = sexist bastard" before, but what was your reasoning why?

  3. #3
    HB Forum Owner mrwiseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,915
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yup, you're right about the shine. Maybe they should try to tune up the shading for the characters (no specular, just basic Goraud, and proper textures/colors so they don't make as if they are metallic or plastic).

    That robot is E-102 Gamma? It looked like some other robot. BTW, I wonder if this robot, Rouge and Shadow are good or evil. As for focusing on the Genesis gameplay, I'm really really hoping this is true; if it is, I'll most surely get the game as soon as it gets released. I wouldn't mind story and the Sonic Adventure 1 adventure fields (actually, I liked them very much), as long as the main stages play and feel like the Genesis games (my reference for top platform gameplay is Sonic 3 & Knuckles, my favorite non-RPG 2D game). I hope it's not like Sonic Arcade though.

    The reason why I say the new rapper Sonic they've come up with is sexist is because in SA2 Sonic treats Amy like shit, and I get the feeling that he does because she's female and he thinks she shouldn't get in the middle/try to help. I personally preferred the Genesis Sonic, just regular Sonic that saves animals and does good stuff.

    Maybe it'd be smart to make Sonic grow up a little, i.e. sound more serious/mature in the story, while keeping his speed. Being more serious would help in understanding the treat of the bad guys and all of the consequences, as well as in determination and strength of will. Plus they could make Amy more mature too and have them as a real couple. Just dreaming, they never will, but I hope Sonic goes back to the Genesis glory at least.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member One Classy Bloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2002
    Posts
    3,653
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yup, that robot is a more meaty version of E-102.

    Oh right, i remember now. I think it's more of the case that Sonic feels that she gets in the way, and slows him down. If you played Sonic CD, you would of seen Amy stop Sonic and start kissing him. The cutscenes in Amy's story in SA1 showed Amy as being a problem for Sonic. If you had a little 13 year old girl chasing you everywhere, you would get annoyed too.

    Also, Amy proved to be able to take care of herself in SA1. So maybe Sonic thinks she can do so in SA2.

    Edit: I'm also downloading the movie. I'll tell you about it in a minute.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ May 13, 2003 05:04 PM: Message edited by: One Classy Bloke ]</font>

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Xellos's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,598
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    He treated Amy like that because he didn't want her getting hurt, and because he knew how weak she was. That' snot sexist, that's good judgement.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member One Classy Bloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2002
    Posts
    3,653
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Seen the movie. Mixed feelings. The graphics look good, the framerate is high and there's no sign of jaggys. The shading looks fine, not really that plasticy. Sound effects are good, but Knuckles' voice could be improved. No music, but that's bound to be sorted by release.

    The gameplay however, does not look too good. It doesn't seem like a return to the Genesis Sonic games, the speed isn't there. It seems more like Knuckles Chaotix but with three members, not two. The movie showed a 1-player game, with Knuckles the character in control. The attacking method consists of him throwing Sonic and Tails into the bad guys. There's a couple of unique ideas in there, but it doesn't seem to have the feel of the earlier Sonic games.

    I hope i'm wrong.

  7. #7
    HB Forum Owner mrwiseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,915
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    IRT OCB (1):
    If you had a little 13 year old girl chasing you everywhere, you would get annoyed too.

    Being 22, of course, but AFAIK Sonic is 15...


    IRT Xellos:
    he didn't want her getting hurt

    If he cares for her he should care for her feelings too, and treat her like a person.


    *SONIC ADVENTURE 2 MINOR SPOILER*

    ?
    ?

    In SA2 Amy saves his ass and he pays her by leaving her the second she's not looking. What a sucker [img]frown.gif[/img] .

    ?

    **

    ----

    IRT OCB (2):

    Thanks for the info.

    Seen the movie. Mixed feelings. The graphics look good, the framerate is high and there's no sign of jaggys.

    Very high and smooth framerates for Sonic games are mandatory, I hope the game runs at least like Sonic Adventure 1 (I bet it could run like the second does in GC and PC, but I doubt the PS2 will handle that at rock-solid 60 fps). As for the jaggies, unless the video is really really high-res and high-quality, you shouldn't see any, it gets softened/blurred. Anyways, I suppose the GC and PC versions of it won't have major jaggies in any case.

    Knuckles' voice could be improved

    OMG, what a relief. Seriously. LOL. I mean, if you say "it could be improved", then it's much better than it is in Sonic Adventure 2. Poor Knuckles' voice in SA2 (when you could actually hear it, because the heavily disgusting music keeps being louder than voices for some stupid unexplainable reason), was sooooo bad I felt pity for him. If the new one just needs improving, that's good news! LOL [img]smile.gif[/img] . Anyways, voices in Sonic games were never above average, but it's not very important to me.

    No music, but that's bound to be sorted by release.

    I hope they go back to the Genesis music too!! SA1's was bearable but SA2's sucked so much ass, while the Genesis tunes were perfect for the business, don't you think so?

    The gameplay however, does not look too good

    [img]frown.gif[/img]

    It doesn't seem like a return to the Genesis Sonic games, the speed isn't there

    Crap [img]frown.gif[/img]

    The attacking method consists of him throwing Sonic and Tails into the bad guys

    No shit... that's not good. [Insert a few Spanish blasphemies here (the "shit on x" kind)] What the fuck are they doing!? They know we want the real thing!

    Oh wait, I hope it's like Sonic Adventure, different character - different gameplay; hopefully Sonic stages would be as in the Genesis? Pretty please!

  8. #8
    HB Forum Owner mrwiseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,915
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    After years of remakes, finally the Sonic Team decided to make a truly new game (I was starting to think they were an Electronic Arts' division).

    It's a shame they decided to make it multi-platform; this has several cons, and I wonder how much ass will the PS2 version suck when compared to GC and PC.


    Onto the pics:

    Of course, these pics are from either the GC or the PC version.

    - In the first picture, I can see textures are as great and amazing as the Sonic Team got me used to, other developers should learn from this. The Sonic Team always uses state-of-the-art textures in all their games. Which I like. Object complexity is so-so, but it might be just this particular pic. It's cool to see Sonic, Tails and Knuckles altogether, this means fun (as long as the game is a REAL Sonic game). (BTW, I should say I'm glad the Sonic Team didn't decide to make this game crap-shaded as it's the fashion right now.)

    - Second picture. Wow, it's just me or is the Great Genesis Stage Style back!? If so, I'm definitely going to like it. You know my opinion on the direction the Sonic Team were going lately (Sonic = sexist bastard + rapper + doesn't give a shit for anything + looks no better than the bad guys; gaming style = trial and error jumping with sucky cameras). I'll be so glad if this goes back go the Golden Genesis Era. Textures look so good they make other GC games look so lame it hurts. I like the effect around Sonic, Tails and Knuckles, it's simple but effective. And doesn't that thing on the right look like that device from the movie "Contact"?

    - Next 2 pics: I'm scared with the amount of water I'm seeing. I hope this doesn't mean the Sonic Adventure 2 feeling is in this game as well. The red and brown blocks the stage is made of kinda calm me down. The water textures/effects 0wn. Lots of crazy loops here, I like it. And the island in the end looks like a whale. Smart design is always welcome.

    - Next 2 pics: Mixed feelings. Characters are good, so are shadows, but the characters look as if they were low-rez, especially Knuckles and Shadow, especially on the head, and the floor texture is not too good (I wouldn't be surprised if this pic were from the PS2 version (if so, the cloudy background is great for a PS2). This happens in every multiplatform game, why can't they say which system are screenshots for, dammit? I bet sony pais them for not saying the sucky ones are from PS2, or for not posting PS2 screens at all and make fanboys think that these are PS2 graphics.)

    - I can see better the technique used for the shadows. It's a projection approximation similar to what Kingdom Hearts and other games do (this is not a new technique, Outcast already did this), but in Sonic Heroes, it uses 2 or 3 layers of the same shadow with an offset to make it look smoother. And the game has a lot of characters, this looks good.

    - Dammit, look at Amy's boots, this is definitely low-res, yet Big ears in the same pic are high-res. WTF? I don't get it. (Is the Sonic Team doing some weird shit for a speed up? Are the screenshots edited/badly compressed? I'm puzzled.)

    - On the final pics, Knuckles effect rocks and the flowers rock even more; and I wonder how will the game play when I see the three characters like that. The stages don't have a lot of objects, but it'll be ok as long as there's no popping and you pass through them quick enough.


    As for the movie, I won't download it, I don't know why does IGN use that piece of crap but at least my computer is QuickTime-free (I like her too much for installing QuitkTime on her).


    So I like what I see. I'll keep an eye on this game, it has serious chances of me getting it. I seriously hope this marks the return to the Great Genesis Gameplay Era in Sonic games.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member melfice's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2002
    Posts
    4,689
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    May be they'll do a Sonic Adventure 3? Anyway, at least the idea is innovative and the speed keeps there, like Super Mario bros and Super Mario bros 2... two different styles of games.

  10. #10
    HB Forum Owner mrwiseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,915
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    IRT Melfice:

    May be they'll do a Sonic Adventure 3?

    If so, when??? When are we getting the fucking real thing? I'm tired of remakes and weird stuff, when are the main games coming? I hope all of this is wrong and this game is the next official line Sonic game featuring Genesis gameplay with Sonic Adventure 2 graphics; I sure want for this to happen because I'm very interested on such a game.

    the idea is innovative and the speed keeps there

    Innovation is not enough, you can innovate with something bad and it'll be bad no matter what, plus the idea is not that new. As for the speed, OCB said it's not there, at least not in the video, this is one of my main concerns.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •